Sunday, May 3, 2020

Tu Risa

why do I keep finding shit?  You'd think after five years I'd found everything by now, why today?  Too many damn questions, no answers.




I saw this book of poetry today in the office, the place where your princess does all of her schooling these days.  There was a book mark, I opened it and this is what I found. 


YOUR LAUGHTER

                                                   Deprive me of bread, if you want,
                                                   deprive me of air, but
                                                   don't deprive me of your laughter. 

                                                   Don't deprive me of the rose, 
                                                   the stick you thresh the grains with, 
                                                   the water splashing
                                                   swiftly in your joy, 
                                                   the sudden silver wave
                                                   born in you. 

                                                   My struggle is painful.  As I return
                                                   with my eyes sometimes tired
                                                   from watching
                                                   the unchanging earth, 
                                                   your laughter enters
                                                   and raises to heaven
                                                   in search of me, 
                                                   to open all the doors of life. 

                                                   My loved one, in the darkest hour,
                                                   unsheath your laughter. 
                                                   and if suddenly 
                                                   you see my blood staining
                                                   the cobblestones, 
                                                   laugh, for your laughter
                                                   will be for my hands
                                                   like an unsullied sword. 

                                                   Near the sea in autumn, 
                                                   your laughter must rise
                                                   in its cascade of foam, 
                                                   and in spring, my love, 
                                                   I want your laughter
                                                   to be like the flower, the rose
                                                   of my resonant homeland. 

                                                   Laugh at the night,
                                                   at the last day, at the moon, 
                                                   laugh at the twisted
                                                   streets of the island, 
                                                   laugh at this clumsy
                                                   young man who loves you. 
                                                   Yet when I open my eyes
                                                   and close them, 
                                                   when my steps go, 
                                                   when my steps return,
                                                   deny me bread, air
                                                   light, spring, 
                                                   but never your laughter
                                                   for I would die. 

                                                                                   Pablo Neruda
                                                                                               translated by 
                                                                                                     Ilan Stavans









      

1 comment:

  1. Laughter is the elixir that feeds our unseen needs.one of my favorites memories his laughter joined by yours.I always knew when he called by Sherry's unbridled laughter. I see his headed reared back with a roar of laughter and the pleasure he received from yours.

    ReplyDelete