Monday, May 2, 2016

for me

I did something for me.  

Da mi basia mille

This phrase is for me.  It's from a poem you chose to have read at your funeral, but it's more to me than just words spoken at your memorial.  You included this phrase in a note you wrote to me so many years ago, a note I only just rediscovered.  The day in the hospital when the pain became too much you asked me to read poetry to you.  I love you handsome man. take care.   



Catullus 5

Vivamus, mea Lesbia, atque amemus

Rumoresque senum severiorum

Omnes unius aestimemus assis.

Soles occidere et redire possunt;

Nobis, cum semel occidit brevis lux,

Nox est perpetua una dormienda.

Da mi basia mille, deinde centum,

Dein mille altera, dein secunda centum,

Deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum;

Dein cum milia multa fecerimus

Conturbabimus illa ne sciamus

Aut ne quis malus invidere possit

Cum tantum sciat esse basiorum

-- c. 55 B.C.

Translation:

May we live, my darling, and may we love,
And may we consider all the gossips of our dour elders,
Worth but a red cent.
The sun may sink and return again,
But for us, whenever our brief light fades,
Night is an unwaking slumber.
Give me a thousand kisses,
Then a hundred,
Then another thousand,
Then yet another hundred,
Then a thousand, and then a hundred, on and on,
And then – when we have made many thousands,
We shall scatter them, lest we know their number,
Or lest someone spiteful should scorn us,

When it is known how great were our kisses.

1 comment:

  1. This is heartbreaking but so very lovely. Thank you, TC. <3

    ReplyDelete