Saturday, October 10, 2015

Here goes...

A friend of mine suggested I write down some memories.  It could be helpful and might be nice for my little girl to have a place to read some stories and hear our tale.  I will do my best and I can not fail.

1998 Des Moines, Iowa.  I just moved to a brand new state to start pharmacy school.  I was 24 years old, my first time living on my own.  I lived in an apartment, not on campus, as a matter of fact it was in a not so great neighborhood on the East side of Des Moines.  I did not know a soul living in Des Moines.  I was so lonely and homesick it wasn't funny.  It was July and it was hot and humid.  I found a $1 movie theater I went to pretty regularly just to sit in the air conditioning.  My apartment did not have that luxury.

I had my own apartment, student loans to apply toward tuition, scholarships to help with expenses, a pharmacy tech job I was able to transfer with my company and I needed to open a new bank account because my bank back home did not have branches in Des Moines.  When I arrived my car was out of commission for a week because the transmission failed during the move.  My new checks arrived for my new checking account; however I did not receive them, they were stolen and money was missing out of my account, which did not have much to start, I did mention I was a student right.  I did have money coming in with hours at the pharmacy; however the pay is not the same in Des Moines as it is in San Diego.  In California I was making just over $10 per hour, that was reduced to the Des Moines rate of just over $7 per hour.  I was not made aware of this adjustment until my first shift at the pharmacy.  What a beginning to my new independent life.  It was OK, because I still had a job, a scholarship that would cover my rent for the year, and I would be starting school soon.  It all worked out.

Before classes started I explored my new city.  I took a walking tour of Des Moines, walked all over down town and the capitol complex.  Things that caught my attention was the lack of different languages spoken.  Back home I heard all different languages and saw all different cultures represented in my neighborhood & school.  There was also no Starbucks in Des Moines, completely foreign to me, I come from a place where there were 12 Starbucks with in a 3 mile radius.  My first trip to the grocery store on my own was interesting.  I got all my shopping done, unloaded my cart, paid for my groceries and the nice young man bagging my groceries took my cart away.  I asked the checker where he was going she looked at me as if I was from another planet, and said he would meet me outside because he was bringing my groceries to my car.  I had lots to learn.

About a week before school started, this would be August, I went to the orientation on campus and after I decided I would try the coffee shop on 42nd & University very near to Drake's campus: Friedrichs World Coffee.  I walked in, ordered my vanilla latte (my usual drink) and was helped by a very nice man.  And that is the first time I ever laid my eyes on Richard, then he was Rick.

I will stop here for now and continue my story another time.  No tears, this feels good.

Good night handsome man. Love you.



take care,

No comments:

Post a Comment