Tuesday, July 24, 2012

TLC

Decided to start a different blog for my running, but don't worry I'm still out there, running that is.

I've been thinking about a little something involving an elderly woman I know professionally.  When I first met her lots of people did not care for & did not want to help her for fear of being yelled at or spoken to poorly.  I have to admit I was among those folks.  Let's just call this person OL, (I'll let you come up with a first & last name to fit this character).

A few months ago maybe even several months ago I had enough at work.  Not just with OL, but with everything at work.  People everywhere were just on my nerves.  I took some time and really thought about what I was doing in my life & how I would like to be treated if I were on the other side of the counter.  It made me think of Kairos.  It made me think of how I have no idea what people's situations are & how I know treating a person (especially one who is trying to help you) poorly is not acceptable, but again I don't know their situation.  What if they were just given a diagnosis of terminal cancer or worst yet their child is very ill.  They might just be coming to see me because they are not feeling well, I don't know about you, but when I'm sick I can be pretty grumpy, especially if I have to be out and not in my own bed resting.  Granted that is not an excuse, however it is something to think about.

On with OL.  With all of this in mind I decided to take another approach when dealing with my patients.  I would try to be more empathetic with my difficult patients.  I greeted them enthusiastically, remembered little details from our previous encounter & asked follow up questions.  I tried to be more personable.  It's paying off I have to say.  OL has done a complete 180, well maybe a 165, I'm still working on her.  When my patients are happy, my staff is happier, and that makes a great place to work.  Turns out OL has a soft spot for stray cats.  She seems so tough & gruff, but this cat had kittens in her neighborhood and she leaves bowls of milk out & she's mentioned leaving out tuna as well.  Her neighbor says to just leave them alone, but she told me she can't do that, they're just kittens & can't fend for themselves.  Just a little bit of kindness & compassion & I see this whole other side of a fellow human being.

take care,

No comments:

Post a Comment